Note: This 8-10 large servings of soup – it’s a lot of soup.
Note again: Vichyssoise is traditionally served cold. It’s alright to be a little crazy and and eat it hot too. Bam! Potato-leek soup!
- ~15 finely diced medium size yellow potatoes
- 2/3 stick of butter
- 1 dozen leeks, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Small onion or green onions – chopped
- 8-10 cups chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt (potatoes hold salt when boiled in salt water – careful)
- 1 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper – (to taste)
- 4-5 sprinkles of of nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Chopped chives
- Greek yogurt
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until just tender.
- Strain water and set aside
- Melt the butter in a very large skillet or heavy duty pot and cook the leeks at low heat
- Toss them lightly, for a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes to skillet
- Add chicken stock to skillet
- Should completely cover potatoes, plus some depending on how soupy you prefer (1/4″ – 1/2″ over top of potatoes is soupy)Add the chicken bouillon
- Bring to boil and simmer about 10 minutes on low
- Add cream and reduce for a couple minutes
- At this point I pour back in large pot and use an immersion blender
- Otherwise, blend soup in 3-4 batches until smooth in standard blendar
- Warning – tends to push the top of the blend if too full or until smooth.
- Serve hot or chilled
- Sprinkle chopped chives
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt (mixed in is great!)