This is a great use for all those veggies you would otherwise have to compost or throw away after juicing.
Make the regular veggie juice juice for your dietary needs.
Make the stock to supplement – add some variety to the juicing diet.
Drink the stock by itself or add to the juice!
Juice ingredients (scraps for stock):
- One large onion (liquid – use ¼ in juice and 3/4
- Entire Garlic
- Entire bunch (all stalks) of celery including leafy part
- 2lbs of carrots
- 3 cucumbers (they don’t much to soup flavor – more for the juice)
- ½ bag of spinach (more for the juice)
Other Ingredients for stock (directly)
- Fresh Basil leaves
- Couple cloves of chopped garlic
- Caldo de Pollo or chicken soup base (to taste – some like it salty/more flavor than others)
- Juice of two squeezed lemons – (squeeze a 3rd lemon into the juice. Tastes great!)
- Any other preferred seasoning (e.g. Herbs de Provence, Thyme etc)
- (add at the end) – One carton room temperature chicken stock
- Boil giant pot of water for stock – leave enough room for potential ingredients
- Make the juice with the Juice Ingredients (I’m using a Hurom HU-100 Slow Juicer) and set aside
- As the extract container fills up, dump the veggie pulp/extract into the stock pot
- Add the “Other Ingredients” directly into the stock
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and cook the stock for an hour or so.
- Set up second pot with a fine strainer to extract veggies from the stock. The veggie extract will quickly clog the strainer. If you are using a giant pot, use a large measuring cup to gradually strain stock, cup by cup
- Add one carton room temperature chicken stock
Chicken stock will cool down enough to drink immediately and stave off the hunger.
Let what’s left of the veggies cool down then add to composter.